22 September 2008

The Dilemma Of Grief Part 3

Ocean tragedy, Boca Raton, Florida 1986

I apologize for this, but as I go back through a bunch of film that is over 20 years old, I'm feeling the need to work through some conflicts that go with these memories. The main premise, I first posted here, and also here, where I set out my main problem:
"Grief pictures shouldn't be made unless something good can come from it. That almost never happens. In this case, I was assigned to shoot everything, including invading this poor woman's home when her daughter was only dead two days. It's funny though, they always welcome you, and want to talk. I sat with one woman, (I had witnessed the recovery of her son ) , for an hour once, and she showed me his pictures, and told me all about what he was like. They sent me over there only a day after his death. She was still in shock."

The picture I posted above shows the friends of that boy, who was cavalier about diving in the ocean without a dive flag, and was tragically killed. This was the one case where I thought that some of my pictures might help prevent another tragedy just like it. I did what I was taught not to do, (as since I had no supervisor at the time), I edited the rescue effort and recovery pictures as more like a story, not allowing the above picture or overt grief to be the central object. I guess I "got away with it". This was the first time I had to deal with the violent death of children, while working, anyway. And I hadn't been at all prepared to go to his house the next day and face his mother.

The other half of the conflict remains: Do we withhold the grief and suffering of Genocide? Or of Oppression, or the plight of Tsunami victims?
The Dilemma Of Grief Part 3SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Difficult does not even begin to cover it. I guess - you try to do your best in each situation; in your work, in your art, with people, with respect.... There are no quick answers or solutions, especially not when grief and trauma is involved. Editing is SO incredibly important...

Related Posts with Thumbnails

...................................