11 February 2009

"I Have Been Driven Many Times Upon My Knees By The Overwhelming Conviction..."



"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go. My own wisdom, and that of all about me, seemed insufficient for the day." (Written by Lincoln to a friend after the Second Battle of Manassas.)


Caption: "The man of the hour, the new President, Abraham Lincoln"

CREDIT: Gardner, Alexander, photographer. "Abraham Lincoln, Head-and-Shoulders Portrait, Facing Front." November 8, 1863. M.P. Rice, copyright 1900. By Popular Demand: Portraits of the Presidents and First Ladies, 1789-Present, American Memory collections, Library of Congress.

This is how the poor chap really looked at the time of his inauguration. This this has been retouched so many times...

"I Have Been Driven Many Times Upon My Knees By The Overwhelming Conviction..."SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

...................................